Thursday, November 10, 2011

Festivus for the Rest of Us!


Here's the obligatory post of the week.

Weight loss? What the hell ever. Still hovering around 202. Good times.

Brad is also hovering right above 250. Can't seem... to break... through...!

But in other news, I have an interview today, and it's pretty promising if I do say so myself, and I do. It's for a part-time, temporary seasonal job, so I won't even have to QUIT! Bazinga! Some people may be thinking, Oh, good for Erica, and then when I say it's to work at Olan Mills in K-Mart, you're going to say, Oh, how very tragic. Well, to thee, naysayers, I say, get away from me with your negativity! I'll have none of it! I perform my best when I don't have to hear all that shit so shut up. I am Erica. I'm flighty. I'm whimsical. I do what I want.

And this couldn't have come at a better time, because with the coming of Winter, I get pretty depressed, and need something to do very badly, something to counteract the constant feeling that I should be hibernating. Wake me up in Spring, people.

I'm not looking forward to the holidays (the Christmas decor out at the same time as Halloween really pissed me off) and mainly because I don't know what to expect this year. Half my family is in China, for pete's sake. Where's the fun in Christmas when some child isn't crying because they think they got less presents than another child? I guess that is what Dad is for, he always counts his presents and makes a big deal out of getting less than someone else... LOL. He is an eternal child, my role model, really. If anyone wants an explanation of how weird and playful and silly I am, look to that man. He makes no sense.

And I very much enjoy playing with the kids' toys. One year I opened Emily's Polly Pocket mansion before Christmas and played with it for hours before I finally wrapped it. I was probably 18. HAHA.

And usually every year I go overboard with Christmas decorations, because I find the festive lights very soothing. As a child, I would sleep by the Christmas tree for weeks before Christmas. I would line up the presents all over the house, categorizing them from biggest to smallest, by person, by wrapping paper. I would make all my dolls super pretty and set them up around the tree. I could wrap a mean package, dude. I should have been an elf. THE BEST WAY TO SPREAD CHRISTMAS CHEER IS TO SING LOUD FOR ALL TO HEAR! I would play Alvin and the Chipmunks NON-STOP and jump on the couches for hours singing at the top of my lungs. I never wanted to sleep. I was on some kind of child crack.

The more stuff I put up for Christmas, though, the more exasperated Brad gets cause he knows it's going to be a damn battle to get me to take them down. I want to live like the Finch's in Running with Scissors and just leave the shit up all year. And every year it seems I want to change our tree decor. Every year I justify getting new decor to Brad by saying, "Well, we will get this, and I'll just use it for years to come" then next year I want something different. I have two go-to's, the home style eclectic display of ornaments, many handmade, that I've compiled from my grandma and Jilda. Last year I added large old fashion colored Christmas lights that reminded me so strongly of my Mamaw Keffer's Christmas tree I sat there and cried just looking at it. I have the matchy-matchy set from my mom that I use occasionally. This year, I would like to go whimsical, almost dr. seussy, with crazy shit that makes the tree look like it's exploded in a fit of homosexuality. In peacock colors.

But enough about Christmas! I need to go mentally prepare myself to be awesome for this interview. Which means, all I need to do is shower, because I'm already awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment